Tuesday, March 17, 2009

t.m.i. Tuesday

The Truth About Me According to My Family
What started out as a silly little survey everyone was posting on Facebook turned out to be very revealing. Who'd have thunk it? My initial thought was to ask my youngest two the interview questions because the little ones always give those endearing, sweet, innocent answers, but then after hearing their answers, I was hooked. I had to see what the others had to say too. And then, because I really couldn't stop myself, I asked my husband the questions too (about me, not his mom). I really am a glutton for punishment!
See what you think. . .
1. What is something mom always says to you?
  • Olivia (4): That'll do donkey. (a quote from Shrek--funny, I do say that.)
  • Patia (6): Be a good girl.
  • Levi (10): Think before you ask questions.
  • Madeline (13): Madeline!
  • Jasmine (16): Clean your room!
  • John : Honey, would you (fill in the blank)
2. What makes mom happy?
  • Pretty much each answer had to do with them doing what they were supposed to do, particularly without being told to do it.
  • Jasmine: Coffee (SO true!!)
  • John: a clean house (which explains why I'm rarely happy?)
3. What makes mom sad?
  • Olivia: not listening to you.
  • Patia: when we don't obey. (are you beginning to see a pattern here?)
4. How does your mom make you laugh?
  • Olivia: jokes.
  • Patia: saying something really funny.
  • Jasmine: sarcasm.
  • John: she doesn't. (okay, now that one made me mad.)
5. What was your mom like as a child?
  • Olivia: brown hair
  • Patia: pretty, smart (she might be my favorite)
  • John: sneaky (he's right. . .)
6. How old is your mom?
  • Olivia: 6--I don't know--14?
  • Patia: 32 (I love her more and more all the time.)
  • Everyone else was close or right
7. How tall is your mom?
  • Olivia: wait, I wanna measure you real quick! (she got a tape measure out of the drawer) 4! I say, "4 what?" She says, "just 4."
  • Patia: (she also measured first) 30, just 30
  • Everyone else guessed close. Inquiring minds want to know. . . 4'11".
8. What is her favorite thing to do?
  • Olivia: exercise!
  • Patia: do grocery lists, no workout! (yes to the first, no to the last)
  • Madeline: correct people.
  • Levi: cut out coupons
9. What does your mom do when you're not around?
  • Olivia, Patia, Levi: clean up.
  • Madeline: go out to eat. (when the numbers are down, we are more likely to go out.)
  • Jasmine: celebrate!
10. If your mom becomes famous, what will it be for?
  • Mostly the standard fare. . .model, rock star. . .yeah, right!
  • Jasmine: Saving money.
  • John: writing. (okay, he redeemed himself a little on this one, but he rarely reads anything I write.)
11. What is your mom really good at?
  • Olivia: exercising.
  • Patia: writing. (that's my girl!)
  • Levi: smart shopping (good boy!)
  • Madeline: see question #8 (she really does have my sense of humor)
  • John: being a mom (he's just sucking up, now)
12. What is your mom not very good at?
  • Olivia: painting. (she means that I don't let them paint or paint with them very often)
  • Patia: playing games with us. ( I want to cry)
  • Levi: sports in general. (that is true, sadly in my competition driven family, true. . .)
  • Madeline: Guitar Hero. (also true, but I care not)
  • Jasmine: Mowing. (true again, never ever done it!)
  • John: having patience. (alas, true again.)
  • Good news: we had to skip this one and come back to it. They all struggled to think of what I'm bad at. But all were true, some sad, all true.
13. What does your mom do for her job?
  • Olivia: get toys for other little kids. (I'm Santa)
  • Patia: work at a toy store.
  • Older kids: they knew this one of course1
  • John: play on the computer. (ass)
14. What is your mom's favorite food?
  • Nothing fun to report here, they mostly picked things we had on our menu in the last week. Short attention spans, I suspect.
15. What makes you proud of your mom?
  • Olivia: because you do your jobs good and that you love me. (she is sweet)
  • Patia: you always love us. (I'm glad she knows this)
  • Levi: you take us to church every Sunday. (Thank you! Finally a good answer out of these kids!)
  • Madeline: you don't embarrass me in public. (Clearly I need to up my game!)
  • Jasmine: your attempts to help me solve my relationship problems.
  • John: being a Christian mom. (wife?)
16. If your mom were a cartoon character, who would she be?
  • Olivia: Cinderella (Cinderella! Cinderella! All I hear is Cinderella!)
  • Patia: Daphne
  • Madeline: Mr. Crab because he likes to save money. (Jazz says he's greedy. . .I'm not greedy.)
  • Levi: Betty Boop (She's hot!)
  • Jasmine: Belle because you like to read. (And because I'm pretty?)
17. What do you and your mom do together?
  • Olivia: homeschool preschool
  • Patia: read
  • Levi & Jasmine: eat together
  • Madeline: ride in the car
  • John: go to church
  • Bad news: based on how long it took them to come up with these answers, we aren't spending enough quality time together. Riding in the car? Are you kidding me?

18. How are you and your mom the same?

  • Olivia: same skin
  • Patia: we're girls
  • Levi: we both like stuff organized
  • Madeline: big lips
  • Jasmine: we are stubborn (she is)
  • John: we both want to raise good kids

19. How are you and your mom different?

  • Olivia: we don't have the same hair
  • Patia: you are bigger, I am smaller
  • Levi: I like to play in the snow and you don't (cold and wet are not my thing)
  • Madeline: I'm more free spirit, you are more regulation (she would have the free spirit thing totally in common with her mom)
  • Jasmine: I'm (she) more argumentative (no argument here!)

20. How do you know your mom loves you?

  • Olivia: kissing (I do love me some kisses!)
  • Patia: by what you say
  • Levi: you take care of me and provide me with stuff (Madeline echoed this)
  • Jasmine: you keep me on track (I try)
  • John: you put up with me (and he puts up with me)

21. Where is your mom's favorite place to go?

  • Olivia: grocery shopping
  • Patia: grocery store, now workout at church
  • Levi: church or anywhere with Nancy (excellent point)
  • Madeline: church

This survey revealed three major things to me:

  1. I'm doing something right--they see that I value a dollar and want to make each one stretch. They have all helped me clip and sort coupons. They see the list making process and they know I do my best shopping BY MYSELF!
  2. They value the basics. We provide for their needs, take them to church, and give kisses.
  3. I need to have more fun with my kids. Their childhoods are flying by and I might just be too busy looking at grocery ads and making lists to really enjoy them. Painting, anyone?

2 comments:

  1. Cute! I enjoyed reading this...of course you are doing something right! You are doing A LOT right! This was my fave kid survey...very funny and real..you crack me up with your comments! :) I love the three things at the end...you are an awesome mommy and wife!

    ReplyDelete