Sunday, March 1, 2009

Something Fun for Sunday!

Today our sermon at church was one in a series from II Peter 1:5-6. The topic was self-control. Sounds uplifting right? Well, actually it was! Sometimes I trick myself into believing that self-control or will power is a trait that you either possess or you don't, but that just isn't true. It is a choice we make. A choice to control our own selfish desires, however natural they seem, and submit to the will of the One greater than us, Jesus Christ.

My two greatest tests of self-control come in the form of anger and food. Since this is supposed to be a fun post, I'm only going to cover the food issue today. If you want to learn more about my anger issues, catch me when I least expect it promptly after my kids have been disobedient. You will probably see first hand how I struggle to control my anger. Anyway, back to the food. What average lady doesn't struggle with food issues? Now, my problem is compounded by the fact that my husband has started to get serious about being fit and healthy. You know what happens when a man decides to lose a few pounds--they just fall right off! Meanwhile, I've been eating reasonably well, drinking nearly no Coke, and working out three times a week for the last two years. What do I have to show for it? A few more muscles and a few less pounds, but nothing drastic. What am I lacking? You guessed it--self-control. I often eat (healthy things) when I'm not hungry or eat too much (healthy food) even though I'm full. So, after today's sermon, maybe next time I'll think before I eat!

Wondering where the fun stuff is? Check out this video below by Anita Renfro. She is super funny and I think you will see how this relates! Have some fun this Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment